Links to relevant information
Raglan Airfield Summary
Through what has been a difficult process, I feel we are working together well between the Community Board, community members and Council. Thank you everyone. Let’s take this as a good learning process.
RCB Meeting 31st March
- Council (WDC) presented report to Community Board (RCB) regarding:
- safety improvements to airfield. Suggested improved signage and changes including a fenced walkway to retain access around one side of airfield and prevent people crossing the runway (operational zone).
- Further investigation to understand Council’s obligation to operate the airfield
- After much discussion RCB recommended that:
- education, improved signage and monitoring happen for 3 months first before any further action (like fences).
- WDC do the further investigation – into the longer term plans for airfield.
WDC Infrastructure Committee Meeting 5th May
- Staff report suggested restricing access to the Operational (Runway) Zone but not to restrict access to the beach around perimeter. It also suggested working with RCB to mitigate the safety needs, develop an education programme and permit access as far as is reasonably practibable without compromising safety.
- Chris Rayner spoke on behalf of the Board
- Infrastructure Committee went with staff recommendation to restrict access to the operational (runway) zone and improve signage.
RCB Meeting 12th May
- RCB received questions from public forum
- Update from WDC Staff
- Including acknowledgement that the WDC process has not been great.
- Board discussed with WDC next steps.
- That is was essential for the RCB that WDC work with us on access/solutions to the immedicate safety issues. Agreed.
- For action on safety improvements
- Requested background documents for informed decisions/solutions. Audit report and Risk Assessment and Safety at Work Act sections.
- Arranged meet with WDC staff, at the airfield, to discuss walkway/access solutions and education/signage.
- That we would like the opportunity to do further mid-term work on anything else that has come up which is of concern, or to look into other solutions. WDC staff member was open to that.
- That very important for Comms to community following the meeting (WDC/RCB to work together on this)
- Agreed that RCB members would attend Town Hall meeting and Chair would speak on behalf of Board.
- Indicated that RCB might want to review the WDC process with WDC staff. Acknoweldged that it would be good to review RCB process too – Comms etc. WDC staff member indicated they would internally reflect as team.
RCB Agenda (Airfield was addressed under Works & Issues Report)
Minutes available next couple of days. Link will be uploaded here.
Site Visit 14th and following that to 18th May
- Three Community Board Members and WDC staff member met at Airfield to discuss walkway, access and operational zone etc.
- WDC staff sent revised plan reflecting our discussions. This included defined Operational Zone and walkway fencing.
- WDC sent info on Safety at Work Act and Risk Assessment to RCB
Town Hall Meeting 19th May – Initiated by Community Member
- Meeting faciliated by community member
- WDC General Manager Service Delivery gave update from WDC
- RCB Chair gave update from RCB
- Community members shared their ideas and concerns
- By show of hands commuity members showed support for various options with most support for continued access across the operational zone/runway, a warning system, improved signage and no fences.
19th May to 26th May
- WDC working closely with RCB for best outcomes.
- Airfield Operational Zone/Runway has been marked on the grass with red paint to highlight this space.
- Updated signs due to be installed.
- WDC informed RCB that they are working to engage an independent person to review the airfield and safety. This will take into consideration the suggestions put forward by the Commuity Board and community members over the last few weeks. This is to ensure we are well informed and that the most balanced actions are taken.
- Update from RCB to RCB Facebook page and into Raglan Chronicle (due out 27th May)
- Summary to RCB website
- RCB waiting to hear from WDC regarding independent review.
- New signs to be installed
Keeping you updated:
We will keep you updated through the RCB Board Meetings, RCB FB page and our website.
Please contact the Chair, Gabrielle Parson or Community Board members if you need to. All contact details on the Members Page of the Community Board website.
Next Board meeting is on 23rd June, 1:30pm, Supper Room, Raglan Town Hall. All welcome. Public forum at 1:30pm is for you to bring ideas and concerns.
Other relevant documents: